So, i found this beast and i bouhgt and I’m gonna clean it up and fix where needed (mainly capacitors i guess).
It perfectly works, or at least apparently, because, once arrived home i tested recording and it was not recording nor erasing anything at all, to the point that monitoring the tape would let you listen to the old content of the tape. So that was solved or temporarily verified as something that can be easily fixed by cleaning the contacts of the recording switches.
So: if your Akai GX-260D does not record or erase tapes, before looking for new heads, first thing to try is to stress the recording switches a bit, and press and release them for a number of times in order to let the contacts… well… be in contact. This is just a basic preliminary test, say at the moment you want to buy, because then you need to clean those up properly (see further on this post).
For the rest the beast was clean enough, we’ll see inside, and worked fine, although motors seem to be stressed by long fast winding operations. This may possibly fixed cleaning and lubricating (yes they need that). Probably a good idea is changing the belts while I’m doing this, but sourcing them requires time.
It also came with these two Akai dynamic microphone ADM-20, yes two because we’re talking stereo. Not entirely sure these mics were originally sold together with this very model or with some other model, but i guess that a reading to the manual can help. And nope, they were not originally sold together with the monster.
I’m gonna open it, clean it and lubricate it, I’ll take some pictures of the internals of this reel to reel tape recorder.
I cleaned the thing with alcohol and patience, the basement smell is gone i hope for good and not because I’m drunk after breathing a ton of alcohol.
Recording and play is good except, like for all these magnetic band recorder, heads require cleaning with alcohol especially if you test old tapes, those can really bring a lot of dirth on your heads